Everyday critical mass AKA Rush Hour AKA kill me now

I had a new experience yesterday which has opened my eyes to some of the reality of transportation in NYC. I was traveling in a rental van from the Flatiron district to Bed-Stuy, then Park Slope, to move some furniture and plants. I'll add that I was responsible for making sure that the semi-precious cargo which was only semi-secured did not get completely ruined, a task that involved a bit of physical strain and some mental stress as well. The main feeling was an urgency for the task to be over.

Now I am no stranger to stress; I typically embrace a physical challenge and pride myself on my patience. This attitude might be both the cause and effect of urban bicycle commuting. But let me tell you: it is no preparation for the nightmare which is New York Rush Hour on four motor-driven wheels.

It sucks so hard! You can't move very fast. You can't avoid the potholes. You have difficulty changing lanes, or turning. The streets are locked down! It took us over two hours of driving to deliver the goods. Brooklyn was no better. The visual space was filled with boxy vehicles and blinking lights. I guess all this stress is why cars need such luxurious amenities to be comfortable, and probably why many drivers are so agitated.

Dear reader, I am sorry, I just had to bitch about this. I feel so sorry for the fools. Of course sometimes cars are necessary for moving things and people around. But anyone who chooses to drive in NYC when they could exercise by walking, biking, or enjoy the smooth and predictable rides of trains and buses is a poor, poor sucker. Drivers, do yourself a favor and try an alternative mode of transport before you get behind the wheel again. Your wallet and your sanity are at stake, not to mention our lives.

I look forward to being chased around by the cops when I join Critical Mass, cause it is not as much of a pain. A bike traffic jam is fun! Say goodbye to stress and keep it mellow. See you out in the slush tomorrow night!

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#FTP #CriticalMass #BikeNYC #OWS 7pm tonight

prayers up